The theme park season ends with a bang, as Alton Towers Resort holds its fantastical 2-day firework event. Guests can enjoy rides in the dark, before being enchanted by a wondrous firework display.
The 2018 Fireworks displays are on 3rd & 4th November at 7pm, and last for around 25 minutes.
The Theme Park is open from 10am until 9pm on every day of the event. Please note, Early Ride Time is not available during Fireworks.
Rides Closing Early
For safety reasons, the following attractions will close approximately at dusk at 3.30pm:
- Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
- Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
- Battle Galleons
- Congo River Rapids
- The Gardens
The following attractions will close at 6pm:
- Mr Bloom’s Allotment
- Big Fun Show Time
- The Furchester Hotel Live
Rides closing before and during the fireworks show
Some areas of the park are within the fireworks firing zone, and so must be clear of guests by 6pm, meaning that queue lines will close at 5pm (or even earlier if the rides are very busy). The rides will reopen from around 8pm until park close. These areas and rides are as follows:
- Dark Forest – Rita, TH13TEEN
- X Sector – The Smiler, Oblivion, Enterprise
- Cloud Cuckoo Land – Frog Hopper, Cuckoo Cars Driving School, Gallopers Carousel
- The Towers Complex – Hex
- Adventure Land – Spinball Whizzer
- CBeebies Land – Something Special: Sensory Garden, Postman Pat Parcel Post, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
All other attractions not mentioned in any of these lists, including Wicker Man, will be open throughout the fireworks show.
A standard theme park admission ticket will allow you to watch the display, as well as enjoying all of the park’s rides and attractions! Merlin Annual Passes also allow entry, however it is recommended that guests pre-book for £5.00pp to guarantee entry. Guests with Alton Towers Season Passes are required to purchase an Extra Day ticket for £10.00pp.
A VIP package is also available through purchasing a ‘Big Bang’ ticket, which includes:
- Golden Circle Fireworks viewing area
- Priority Ride Pass on a choice of 3 rides
- DigiPass – unlimited digital ride photos and 1 printed photo
- 2 course buffet
- 2 drinks vouchers for the bar in the venue
- Post-show soup & roll
- Hot drinks, cordials and biscuits (from midday)
- Special limited edition pop badge
- Children’s entertainment (from 4pm)
- Glow in the dark item for the children
- FREE Standard Car Parking
Guests will have access to the Corporate Hospitality Suite from 4pm-10pm in order to enjoy the above exclusives, where relevant. A package including theme park admission is £120.00 per adult (12+) and £80.00 per child (3-11), while excluding theme park admission it is £87.00 and £52.50 respectively.
For all ticket queries and for booking we recommend checking out the official Alton Towers Resort website.
Alton Towers Resort is clearly signposted from the following motorway junctions:
M1: Junction 23a (Northbound) or Junction 28 (Southbound)
M6: Junction 15 (Northbound) or Junction 16 (Southbound)
The postcode for Sat Nav reference is: ST10 4DB. Please be aware that Sat Nav systems may try to send your car down single track roads, please always follow the brown signs to Alton Towers where possible.
Alton Towers Resort is also accessible by local bus services running from Stoke to Uttoxeter. Additionally, it is also accessible by train from Stoke-on-Trent and Uttoxeter rail stations. For more information on public transport connections, visit the Alton Towers website. Please remember to check the times of the last return bus for Fireworks visits, as not all services will cover the 9pm theme park close.
TowersTimes Top Tips
Please be aware that Fireworks is likely to be very busy and queues will be large for many of the rides and attractions.
It is always advisable to ride the most popular rides (such as Wicker Man and The Smiler) at the very start and end of the day. Remember that some rides will close in preparation for the fireworks display, however it can be a good opportunity to beat the queues when they reopen.
Other methods and tips to avoid large queues are available on the Queue Busters page.
- Temperatures will drop as the park gets dark so remember to wrap up warm!
- Stick around after the Fireworks display to avoid the main rush of traffic and enjoy the Resort’s rides in the dark.
- Fireworks is your last chance to ride Wicker Man in the dark this season – the ceremony’s flames look even more intense at night!
- Spinball Whizzer is generally much quieter in the afternoon and evening as many guests rush to ride it first in the morning.
- Make sure to ride Oblivion to get a a great view of X Sector and The Smiler at night!
- Riding TH13TEEN at night brings a whole new meaning to the Dark Forest, with there being next to no lighting around the ride’s circuit.
- Buy your parking token from a machine or ticket booth at the start of the day to beat the queues when leaving the park.
- Leave the theme park via the Galactica Gates to avoid the queues for the Monorail.
- Join in the discussion on TowersTimes & SouthParks Forum for more Fireworks tips, photos and news!