The theme park season ended with a bang, as Alton Towers Resort held its fantastical 3-day firework event. Guests could enjoy rides in the dark, before being enchanted by a wondrous firework display.
Dates: 4th – 6th November 2022
Opening Times: 10am to 9pm
Display Time: 7pm, lasting for around 25 minutes
For the first time, the Resort utilised drones, which featured in the pre-show for the display that saw them form a number of different shapes and configurations, including many themed to Alton Towers itself and the theme park. Appearing on large screens situated around the Front Lawns, Sir Algenon once again led proceedings, this year being billed as a ‘Festival of Thrill’. Each of the Resort’s major rollercoasters had a sequence in the display, accompanied by video content which saw the Lord of Darkness feature for Oblivion and Gerry Cannell reprise his role of Dr Kelman for The Smiler.
Following Sunday’s night display, there was an announcement from the Phalanx that an investigation was underway into Nemesis’ abnormal behaviour, to coincide with the last day of the season being the final time that Nemesis would operate in its original form, ahead of its track replacement and reopening in 2024.
A standard theme park admission ticket allowed guests to watch the display, as well as enjoying all of the park’s rides and attractions! Merlin Discovery passholders were required to purchase a standard admission ticket, while Merlin Platinum passholders could pre-book for free. All other passholders were required to pre-book for £20pp.
A VIP package was also available through purchasing a ‘Big Bang’ ticket, which included:
- Golden Circle Fireworks viewing area
- Priority Ride Pass on a choice of 3 rides
- 2 photo vouchers
- 2 course buffet
- 2 drinks vouchers for a bottled beer, glass of wine or a soft drink
- Unlimited refreshments in the Hospitality Suite from midday
- Pre-show soup & roll
- Limited edition pop badge
- FREE Standard Car Parking
A package including theme park admission was £130pp, while excluding theme park admission it was £110pp.
Rides Closing Early
For safety reasons, the following attractions will close approximately at dusk at 3.30pm:
- Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
- Hey Duggee’s Big Adventure Badge
- Battle Galleons
- Congo River Rapids
- The Gardens
The following attractions will close at 6pm:
- Andy’s Adventures Dinosaur Dig
- Big Fun Show Time
- The Furchester Hotel Live
Rides closing before and during the fireworks show
Some areas of the park are within the fireworks firing zone, and so must be clear of guests by 6pm, meaning that queue lines will close at 5pm (or even earlier if the rides are very busy). The rides will reopen from around 8pm until park close. These areas and rides are as follows:
- Dark Forest – Rita, TH13TEEN, Roller Disco
- X Sector – The Smiler, Oblivion, Enterprise, Spinjam
- The World of David Walliams – Gangsta Granny: The Ride, Raj’s Bouncy Bottom Burp, The Royal Carousel, Flavio’s Fabulous Fandango
- The Towers Complex – Hex, Cuckoo Cars Driving School
- Adventure Land – Spinball Whizzer
- CBeebies Land – Something Special: Sensory Garden, Postman Pat Parcel Post, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
All other attractions not mentioned in any of these lists, including Wicker Man, will be open throughout the fireworks show.