The theme park season ended with a bang, as Alton Towers Resort held its fantastical 3-day firework event. Guests could enjoy rides in the dark, before being enchanted by a wondrous firework display.
Dates: 5th – 7th November 2021
Opening Times: 10am to 9pm
Display Time: 7pm, lasting for around 25 minutes
With the 2020 Fireworks having been cancelled due to the uncertainty around restrictions that would be in place at the time of the event, it was the 2021 displays which celebrated the theme park’s 40th anniversary. Sir Algenon returned to take spectators on a journey back through the history of Alton Towers. A new feature for 2021 was the addition of screens which were incorporated into the display, alongside the usual lights, lasers and pyrotechnics. The Resort also utilised the stage that was in place on the Front Lawns throughout the season to present a pre-show featuring vocalists, dancers and a Relentless DJ.
A standard theme park admission allowed guests to watch the display, as well as enjoy all of the park’s rides and attractions! Merlin Discovery passholders were required to purchase a standard admission ticket, while Merlin Platinum passholders could pre-book for free. All other passholders were required to pre-book for £20pp.
A VIP package was also available through purchasing a ‘Big Bang’ ticket, which included:
- Golden Circle Fireworks viewing area
- Priority Ride Pass on a choice of 3 rides
- 2 photo vouchers
- 2 course buffet
- 2 drinks vouchers for a bottled beer, glass of wine or a soft drink
- Unlimited refreshments in the Hospitality Suite from midday
- Pre-show soup & roll
- Limited edition pop badge
- FREE Standard Car Parking
A package including theme park admission was £130pp, while excluding theme park admission it was £110pp.
Rides Closing Early
For safety reasons, the following attractions closed approximately at dusk at 3.30pm:
- Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
- Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
- Battle Galleons
- Congo River Rapids
- The Gardens
The following attractions closed at 6pm:
- Mr Bloom’s Allotment
- Big Fun Show Time
- The Furchester Hotel Live
Rides closing before and during the fireworks show
Some areas of the park were within the fireworks firing zone, and so had to be clear of guests by 6pm, meaning that queue lines closed at 5pm (or even earlier if the rides were very busy). The rides reopened from around 8pm until park close. These areas and rides were as follows:
- Dark Forest – Rita, TH13TEEN, Roller Disco
- X Sector – The Smiler, Oblivion, Enterprise, Mixtape
- The World of David Walliams – Gangsta Granny: The Ride, Raj’s Bouncy Bottom Burp, The Royal Carousel, Flavio’s Fabulous Fandango
- The Towers Complex – Hex, Cuckoo Cars Driving School
- Adventure Land – Spinball Whizzer
- CBeebies Land – Something Special: Sensory Garden, Postman Pat Parcel Post, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
All other attractions not mentioned in any of these lists, including Wicker Man, were open throughout the fireworks show.