The 2017 theme park season ended with a bang, as Alton Towers Resort held its fantastical 2-day firework event. Guests could enjoy rides in the dark, before being enchanted by a wondrous firework display.
Dates: 4th & 5th November 2017
Opening Times: 10am to 9pm
Display Time: 7pm, lasting for around 25 minutes
2017’s display was themed around ‘What Alton Towers Means to Guests’, and combined well choreographed lighting and lasers with an impressive range of fireworks – including some which created new and different effects to what has been seen in previous years.
The show was accompanied by an emotional soundtrack, which featured the voice of John Wardley, who helped make Alton Towers Resort what it is today. It also included the voices of the whole spectrum of guests, including some TowersTimes and SouthParks community members, from the very young through to older guests who visited the Resort when it first opened as a theme park.
A standard theme park admission ticket allowed guests to watch the display, as well as enjoying all of the park’s rides and attractions! Merlin Annual Passes and Alton Towers Annual Passes purchased before 24/07/17 also allowed entry, however it was recommended that guests pre-booked for £5.00pp to guarantee entry.
A VIP package was also available through purchasing a ‘Big Bang’ ticket, which included:
- Golden Circle Fireworks viewing area (guests escorted to the area at 6.40pm)
- Priority Ride Pass on a choice of 3 rides
- Glass of bubbly or mocktail on arrival
- DigiPass – unlimited digital ride photos
- 2 course buffet (served 5pm-6.30pm)
- Post show soup & roll
- Hot drinks, cordials and biscuits
- Special limited edition pop badge
- Children’s entertainment
- Glow in the dark item for the children
- FREE Standard Car Parking
Guests had access to the Corporate Hospitality Suite from 4pm-10pm in order to enjoy the above exclusives, where relevant. A package including theme park admission was £94.50 per adult and £76.00 per child, while excluding theme park admission it was £62.50 and £48.50 respectively.
Rides Closing Early
For safety reasons, the following attractions closed approximately at dusk at 3.30pm:
- Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
- Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
- Battle Galleons
- Congo River Rapids
- The Gardens
The following attractions closed at 6pm:
- Mr Bloom’s Allotment
- Big Fun Show Time
- The Furchester Hotel Live
Rides closing before and during the fireworks show
Some areas of the park were within the fireworks firing zone, and had to be clear of guests by 6pm, meaning that queue lines closed at 5pm (or even earlier if the rides were very busy). The rides reopened from around 8pm until park close. These areas and rides were as follows:
- Dark Forest – Rita, TH13TEEN
- X Sector – The Smiler, Oblivion, Enterprise
- Cloud Cuckoo Land – Frog Hopper, Cuckoo Cars Driving School, Gallopers Carousel
- The Towers Complex – Hex
- Adventure Land – Spinball Whizzer
- CBeebies Land – Something Special: Sensory Garden, Postman Pat Parcel Post, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure