This original cable car system followed the same route as the Skyride but only traveled from the Towers Street area to the area where Forbidden Valley is today.
Location: The Gardens
Manufacturer: British Ropeway Engineering Company Ltd
Length: 430 yards
Opening Year: 1963
Closing Year: 1986
The Cable Cars opened in 1963 and ran for 430 yards with 16 cabins. The ride lasted 3 minutes each way and traveled at a constant speed of 500 feet per minute, 240 feet apart and were automatically dispatched at 29 second intervals. The cableway carried 56 passengers at a time and was capable of transporting 1000 people every hour. It was built by British Ropeway Engineering Company Ltd and was powered by a 30 h.p electric prime mover. The old system was quite limited, with a maximum capacity of 4 people per car.