The theme park season ended with a bang, as Alton Towers Resort held its fantastical 3-day firework event. Guests could enjoy rides in the dark, before being enchanted by a wondrous firework display.
The 2018 Fireworks displays were on 8th, 9th & 10th November at 7pm, and lasted for around 25 minutes.
The Theme Park was open from 10am until 9pm on every day of the event, with Early Ride Time not available during Fireworks.
Rides Closing Early
For safety reasons, the following attractions closed approximately at dusk at 3.30pm:
- Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
- Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
- Battle Galleons
- Congo River Rapids
- The Gardens
The following attractions closed at 6pm:
- Mr Bloom’s Allotment
- Big Fun Show Time
- The Furchester Hotel Live
- Last entry to The Alton Towers Dungeon at 5pm
Rides closing before and during the fireworks show
Some areas of the park were within the fireworks firing zone, and so had to be clear of guests by 6pm, meaning that queue lines closed at 5pm (or even earlier if the rides were very busy). The rides reopened from around 8pm until park close. These areas and rides were as follows:
- Dark Forest – Rita, TH13TEEN
- X Sector – The Smiler, Oblivion, Enterprise
- Cloud Cuckoo Land – Frog Hopper, Cuckoo Cars Driving School, Gallopers Carousel
- The Towers Complex – Hex
- Adventure Land – Spinball Whizzer
- CBeebies Land – Something Special: Sensory Garden, Postman Pat Parcel Post, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
All other attractions not mentioned in any of these lists, including Wicker Man, were open throughout the fireworks show.
A standard theme park admission ticket allowed guests to watch the display, as well as enjoying all of the park’s rides and attractions! Merlin Annual Passes also allowed entry, however it was recommended that guests pre-booked for £5.00pp to guarantee entry. Guests with Alton Towers Season Passes were required to purchase an Extra Day ticket for £10.00pp.
A VIP package, priced at £80.00pp (exclusive of theme park entry) was also available through purchasing a ‘Big Bang’ ticket, which included:
- Golden Circle Fireworks viewing area
- Priority Ride Pass on a choice of 3 rides
- Glass of bubbly or mocktail on arrival
- DigiPass – unlimited digital ride photos
- 2 course buffet
- 2 drinks vouchers for the bar in the venue
- Post-show soup & roll
- Hot drinks, cordials and biscuits (from midday)
- Children’s entertainment (from 4.30pm)
- Glow in the dark item for the children
- FREE Standard Car Parking
The 2019 displays saw Sir Algenon at the centre once again, this time joined by Felicity. Following a season that had celebrated the ‘Power of the Towers’, Sir Algenon and Felicity were required to restore this power after inadvertently damaging the core. The display combined stunning fireworks, spectacular lights and lasers, live actors and a well curated soundtrack to create a fitting finale to the 2019 season.