The theme park season ended with a bang, as Alton Towers Resort held its fantastical 2-day firework event. Guests could enjoy rides in the dark, before being enchanted by a wondrous firework display.
Dates: 3rd & 4th November 2018
Opening Times: 10am to 9pm
Display Time: 7pm, lasting for around 25 minutes
The 2018 displays saw the return of Sir Algenon, who brought the theme park to life when two guests stumbled into the park whilst trying to find their way back to their campsite. The display included a number of sequences themed to different attractions, including Wicker Man, the new attraction for 2018.
A standard theme park admission ticket allowed guests to watch the display, as well as enjoying all of the park’s rides and attractions! Merlin Annual Passes also allowed entry, however it was recommended that guests pre-booked for £5.00pp to guarantee entry. Guests with Alton Towers Season Passes were required to purchase an Extra Day ticket for £10.00pp.
A VIP package was also available through purchasing a ‘Big Bang’ ticket, which included:
- Golden Circle Fireworks viewing area
- Priority Ride Pass on a choice of 3 rides
- DigiPass – unlimited digital ride photos and 1 printed photo
- 2 course buffet
- 2 drinks vouchers for the bar in the venue
- Post-show soup & roll
- Hot drinks, cordials and biscuits (from midday)
- Special limited edition pop badge
- Children’s entertainment (from 4pm)
- Glow in the dark item for the children
- FREE Standard Car Parking
Guests had access to the Corporate Hospitality Suite from 4pm-10pm in order to enjoy the above exclusives, where relevant. A package including theme park admission was £120.00 per adult (12+) and £80.00 per child (3-11), while excluding theme park admission it was £87.00 and £52.50 respectively.
Rides Closing Early
For safety reasons, the following attractions closed approximately at dusk at 3.30pm:
- Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
- Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
- Battle Galleons
- Congo River Rapids
- The Gardens
The following attractions closed at 6pm:
- Mr Bloom’s Allotment
- Big Fun Show Time
- The Furchester Hotel Live
Rides closing before and during the fireworks show
Some areas of the park were within the fireworks firing zone, and so had to be clear of guests by 6pm, meaning that queue lines closed at 5pm (or even earlier if the rides were very busy). The rides reopened from around 8pm until park close. These areas and rides were as follows:
- Dark Forest – Rita, TH13TEEN
- X Sector – The Smiler, Oblivion, Enterprise
- Cloud Cuckoo Land – Frog Hopper, Cuckoo Cars Driving School, Gallopers Carousel
- The Towers Complex – Hex
- Adventure Land – Spinball Whizzer
- CBeebies Land – Something Special: Sensory Garden, Postman Pat Parcel Post, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
All other attractions not mentioned in any of these lists, including Wicker Man, were open throughout the fireworks show.